On today’s episode of the podcast, I shared on – “How To Make Wise Career Decisions“.
Many individuals often do not realize that their career decisions are sometimes taken unconsciously. And this trend only gets confirmed during career coaching sessions.
When the subject of career decisions or choices comes to mind, one fundamental fact must be accepted – “A choice is, most often, nothing more than a best guess – a hopeful step in a new direction.”
[bctt tweet=”Individuals DONOT realize that career decisions are sometimes taken unconsciously.” username=”segunakiode”]
You can only be sure of the right path when you have enough information of both risk and benefits.
This episode of the podcast is aimed to furnish you with enough information to make better career decisions or choices.
On this episode, you would learn:
- About the concept of ‘career anchors’, this is a very instructive and directional concept which many individuals may not be aware of it.
- That ‘career anchors’ became renowned by the original research of MIT Professor Emeritus Edgar H. Schein in the mid-1970s. Basically, ‘career anchors’ are perceived areas of competence, motives and values related to work choices or aspirations.
- That once you know your career anchor, it would help you get a good sense of ‘who you are’ and what you are after in your career and life. It aims you understand why you often take some career decisions or choices unconsciously.
- That based on research most individual’s self-concept revolve around eight (8) anchor categories reflecting basic values, motives and needs. The anchor categories are – Autonomy/independence, Security/stability, Technical-functional Competence, General Managerial Competence, Entrepreneurial Creativity, Service or Dedication to a Cause, Pure Challenge, Life Style.
- How to conduct a preliminary career anchors self-assessment on yourself using the summarized anchor categories explanation found in the podcast episode.
[bctt tweet=”Once you know your career anchor, it would help you get a good sense of ‘who you are’.” username=”segunakiode”]
Go ahead to download and listening to this week’s episode, happy listening ?
After listening, feel free to drop a comment or ask your career related question in the comment section below.
And remember to share this podcast episode with a friend or share same on social media.
Thank you for listening ?
Credit: Podcast sound track by BenSound.Com